Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Life's Lessons Learned

I have learned some important life lessons over the last few years.  

There is never an opportune time for a relationship.  You can't know what you are truly ready for if you don't try and give it your 100%.  That 100% might change based on the other demands you have going on in your life, but it is better to give all you've got than to be left wondering in a few weeks, months, years what if?

I have been trying to think of an analogy of what dating is like, my friend today explained it best like this.  When you take a kid to the Children's Museum there are so many things that capture their attention in each room.  Every child has different likes and dislikes, but you are in this amazing place why would you want to sit stuck in the same room the entire day when there is the rest of the museum out there to explore.  So as parents we guide our children into the next room, the kids don't always go willingly to the next room, sometimes they kick and scream or run back into the room where they were playing because it is just so much fun and they don't know what awaits them in the next room.  Once the kid gets into the next room they realize that there is in fact something just as wonderful and grand, if not even better waiting for them there.  Once again, we don't know if we allow our fear to take over or we are waiting for the perfect circumstances.

Having trust in people is an issue for me.  It is hard for me to know when what I'm being told is in fact what is really going on in relationships.  I am thankful for loving counselors and friends who help me figure out life and to continue having faith in the greater good.

In school I've been learning about classical conditioning.  I feel that I'm currently fighting tooth and nail against many of the conditioned responses that I have learned through out my life.  I'm hoping to help my boys learn and know that there are people in their lives who will be there no matter what.  I am grateful to know that no matter what though I have a loving Heavenly Father who is only a prayer away.

No comments: