Monday, April 9, 2012

parable of the bikes

What is the old saying if you fall off a bike get right back up and try again...
The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you!
I started off my life with training wheels.  I had to get comfortable peddling and steering and under the watchful eye of my parents.  Then my dad made the training wheels so my bike would lean and I had to catch my balance.  I remember learning to ride my bike as the camels walked down the street in Dubai.
I upgraded to a pink banana seat bike that matched my sisters that my parents found at a garage sale.  I grew up and learned a lot about myself and what I wanted - at that time I thought I knew it all and exactly what I wanted and what was confirmed to me as what was right.  I followed through with that.  I rode that little pink bike to my hearts content all over the neighborhood and to the pool up until it was stolen and I had to walk home one day.

I got the constantly moving lifestyle that I was ok with at the time (27 moves in 9 years to be exact) life.  I knew nothing different and was ok with my life because I was happy with with my own self and the life I was living.  I didn't know I could have it any different and if I was living my life the way I thought to live it I probably would still be on that bike.


But I fell off that constantly moving bike and for a few months was scared about ever riding a bike again though I lead everyone to believe I was strong.  I was in fact riding on the back of a tandem bike being pulled along by the Lord, family and friends.  I am glad that the front rider had the strength to pull me along until I was able to pull my own weight.

Now I am successfully riding by myself again and enjoying this new pace that I have.  Thanks to the help of those around me I have already put myself out there to get back in the seat so to speak.  At first I felt very odd and out of place but as I have come to remember who I am and what I like to do it's been fun.  I love hearing myself laugh again.  It is fun to remember the little things about me that I gave up while riding that motorcycle.  Here's to many more fun activities and dates ahead!

1 comment:

Myndie said...

I love this analogy, Paige. I think for most of us, the Lord is pulling us along this ride; or at least he is cheering us to keep pedaling.

Have fun on your yellow, cheery bike.

Sending my love,
Myndie