Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fixed

There used to be a witching hour in my house every day, my mom friends know about it. The hours after school between say 4-5:30ish.  The hours where I have been doing things all day long and am tired and exhausted and just want some peace and quiet and a chance to go to the bathroom my myself. The time when I should be preparing dinner but am often times clueless about what to make. Then when I think of an idea that sounds good to me and won't get too many complaints from my children, only to realize I am an ingredient short so I procrastinated dinner even longer.  Yes that is the time. The time that is too late to give the boys a snack because they won't eat their dinner and too late to put down those who really need a nap because then it would be a struggle putting them to bed at night.

Well, that time is gone from here now. The difference is not in my boys and the way they act. It is instead in me and the way I react to their behaviors. I am no longer waiting for someone to come home to rescue me! I know my break now comes at bedtime, which I moved much much earlier!  My kids are not anxiously awaiting anyone hoping to play. Our current routines are our new normal and we are settling into them.

It is funny how kids adapt so quickly to changes in their lives. Something that has taken me a solid eight months to really grasp. A friend told me that time heals all wounds.... I am not so sure that I agree with that statement so much.  I think that the time allows us to process what our new normal is but it's not the time so much that does the healing, it's that desire within one self.

1 comment:

G-mom said...

You are amazing. so well put.